Monday, March 30, 2009

Wavefront OBJ Loader Open Sourced to Google Code

I have made a minor update to the Wavefront OBJ Loader and released it on Google Code. You can find its new homepage right here.

The UV texture mapping is still wonky - I haven't had time to look at that. After profiling, I realized I could save quite a bit of time by using sqrtf() instead of sqrt(), since OpenGL ES doesn't support GLDouble, there was no point in using the higher precision square root function.

I also implemented, based on some tweets by Noel Llopis of Snappy Touch fame, a faster normalization function that utilizes the fast inverse square root optimization. This is an optional optimization based on a pre-compiler define.

I really don't have any immediate plans to do much with this, but if anyone wants to work on it, I'm happy to add you as a project member. If you're interested in loading 3D objects, there's a fair amount of useful code in this project you can borrow and learn from, but there's also plenty of room for further optimizations if you feel like trying out Shark.

No comments:

Post a Comment