Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I'm Flattered, I Think...

I received my first Press Release today. I think I should be flattered that somebody thought enough of my little patch of space on the intertubes to feel like sending me a Press Release would be of any value.

I'm not sure what to do with it, to be honest. I have no interest in being a shill, especially not for free, but not even for pay. If I wanted to be a sell-out, I'd still be an attorney. Press Releases (and this one isn't an exception) generally have a low signal-to-noise ratio and are filled with obnoxious puffery designed to bathe one particular company's products or services in a glowing, heavenly light. Reading most Press Releases just makes me cringe. I hate marketing-speak, and I especially hate when there's so much of it that I can't even discern the point they're trying to make.

On the other hand, if something would be of value to the few people who come here, I would like to pass the information on. I just can't bring myself to post formulaic press releases and am honestly not motivated enough to figure out what the hell the real message is, if there even is one.

For any Marketing-type folks who happen across this: If you want me to share information for your, I'll be happy to spread the word if it's relevant to the topics I cover. Send me the meat of the message in plain English, forget about the hyperbole and puffery, and get to the point. If it's something related to the iPhone SDK, I'll almost certainly blog it, but don't treat me as an extension of your PR department, especially if you're not going to have the decency to offer me a bribe.

(I'm just kidding about the bribe, of course.)

No comments:

Post a Comment