Monday, December 22, 2008

Texture Mapping is Coming

So, I've been playing around with Blender. I'm having to learn as much about 3D programs as I am about OpenGL for this project. While I have used 3D programs in the past, it's been almost a decade, and I was never very serious, mostly just playing because I had access to some workstations with Lightwave installed on them so I was able to play for free. All I can say is thank dog for Blender. It's one hell of a program for the price (it's free). I'm sure Maya and 3DMax and Lightwave and several other programs are "better" in ways, but this is a darn nice program. It far surpasses what even the commercial 3D programs were capable of when I last worked with them. It certainly is capable enough for my needs, and probably could serve quite well as the main modeling tool for an iPhone game.

The point of all this is just to let you know you that I've now created some texture mapped Wavefront OBJ files. I'm starting with two simple cubes, one using simple texture mapping, and another one that uses UV mapping:


Once I get these working, I'll create some more complex texture-mapped models to test with.

You can tell from the image above that I'm no graphic artist, so if you've created a good, moderately complex, UV-textured 3D object you'd like to contribute to the cause, I'd love to hear from you.

I'll probably have the time to actually code the texture mapping stuff toward the end of the week. I'm still under the gun for client work, but should get some time for fun stuff over the holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment