Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Ah.... WWDC still

This is making for a long week. I'm a little disappointed in many of the iPhone sessions. I guess, with the amount of hours I've logged messing with the iPhone SDK, there's been only a few nuggets of truly new information, and the questions I do need answered, I'm having a hard time getting anyone to answer. Very frustrating. I understand why the sessions are like this and don't blame them, but it's still frustrating.

In some ways, it doesn't "feel" like a Mac developer gathering this year with all the press, and the huge influx of people new to the platform. In the long run, this is all good for the platform, but there are growing pains to be suffered. But as long as Steve Jobs doesn't turn into this, I guess I can live with it...

I did get a chance to see a presentation by Dr. Michael "Wave" Johnson of Pixar today at lunchtime. It was one hell of an entertaining talk, but it was more than just entertaining - he was saying a lot of things that a lot of people in that room needed to hear (and a lot of people in the software industry in general need to hear). It's really too bad the session was under NDA, because I think everybody who codes or wants to code should see it. If you ever get a chance to see him speak, go out of your way to do so: You won't be disappointed.

They are doing some really cool in-house development at Pixar. I don't think I'd ever be tempted to become an employee of a big corporation again but there are a few places that I would have to give serious consideration to if they ever were to come calling (as unlikely as that is). That team at Pixar is definitely one such place. Though I probably would end up staying self-employed, I would be sorely tempted. It sure looks like a great place to work and Dr. Michael looks like a hell of a person to work for. 

I've complained a few times lately about being busy, but I haven't given much detail because I haven't been able to. Well, apparently, the wraps are off one of the projects that's been eating up my time. This is a big thing for me in a number of ways. First, it will be my first published book; everything I've had published so far has been much shorter in length. It's also great because I get to work with Dave Mark, who's a great writer and all around great guy, and I'm tremendously proud to be working on this project with him. We have a very aggressive deadline, so if you don't see many posts from me in the next two months, you'll know why.

The other big project I've got on my plate has to stay under wraps for a while longer, but I'll just say that it's of similar magnitude and importance to me. I wish I could say more, but I can't. I promise that I'll share as soon as I'm at liberty.

No comments:

Post a Comment