Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Unlocking and Jailbreaking iPhone OS 3.0

Yesterday, when I was just about to head to my bed, I noticed on the Dev Team blog that finally Ultrasn0w had arrived. Half asleep, I decided to give it a try. When I bought my iPhone 3G, it was already unlocked and jailbroken by the shop. So, I'm a rookie in this respect. As promised, I'm writing about my experience with the upgrade process. Hopefully, this post will be useful if you have not upgraded to OS 3.0 yet and plan to do so. Let's start.

Overall, the process went smoothly and took about 40 minutes. As long as you follow a couple of easy steps, you shall have no problems.

STEP 1. The first step is very easy. You just connect your iPhone to your PC, start iTunes and use upgrade your iPhone to OS 3.0. Once this has been done, your iPhone will have OS 3.0 on board. However, as expected your iPhone won't be able to register on your cellular operator. DON'T PANIC. This will be sorted our quickly.

STEP 2. As a step two, you run the redsn0w application. Here is a link for the redsn0w web site http://redsn0w.com/. I downloaded the app via the official torrent. You are welcome to use any of the numerous mirrors.

This step involves a tricky moment. You shall switch your iPhone in a so called DFU mode. It may take you a couple of tries before you succeed (it took me two). I highly recommend visiting this link http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034. You can find a detailed instruction and a video there.

Also, you shall install either Cydia or Icy. In the past, I used to have Cydia and it is very cool. Now, I decided to go with Icy. You select this when you run redsn0w.

One more thing with this process is that you will have to locate the OS 3.0 image downloaded by iTunes. On Windows Vista and Windows 7 you typically find it in this location: "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates" where USER is your Windows username.

STEP 3. Run Cydia or Icy and add the repo repo666.ultrasn0w.com. As you know, in ultrasn0w the last O before "w" is a digit zero not O. So, keep this in mind.

STEP 4. Search for "ultrasn0w" in Cydia or Icy and install ultrasn0w. Please note that, when you first run Cydia or Icy, it may take a while before the repos are updated.

STEP 5. Reboot your iPhone.

PLEASE NOTE: According to the Dev Team, T-Mobile USA users should disable 3G before using ultrasn0w!!!

So, the process is quite straightforward and simple and generally, you shall not experience any difficulties. If I did this easily, you shall do easily as well. Again, this was a first hand experience from a total rookie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment